This message preached by Tom and Susan Shanklin deals with the subject of caring for your body. We know that the spirit is of primary importance, but according to the Scripture, the body is also holy and set apart to God. Over four years ago, Tom and Susan went on a weight-loss program in which they loss over 150 pounds between them.
In this message you will learn:
- What God says about your spirt, soul and body.
- The two extremes that have always plagued the Gospel message—legalism and antinomianism.
- How Susan lost over 80 pounds and has kept the weight off for over three years.
- Keys to weight loss and a healthy diet.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR TEMPLE
Tom’s Message: THE BODY IS IMPORTANT
“And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23, KJV.
We are a 3-part being:
1. SPIRIT—through the new birth our spirit comes alive and is united with God.
“And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;” Ephesians 2:1, KJV.
“But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.” 1 Corinthians 6:17, KJV.
-God created us good. Gen. 1:31
-Because of sin we are separated from God. Rom 3.23, Rom 5.12
-Through Jesus Christ’s death, burial and resurrection, we are reconciled to God. 2 Cor. 5:21
-By receiving Jesus as Savior and ruler of our life, we are re-united with God and given new life. John 1:12
This is the most important choice you’ll ever make.
2. SOUL—our mind and emotions are transformed progressively through the Word of God.
“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.” James 1:21, KJV.
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:1, 2, KJV.
3. BODY— our earth suit, how we connect with the earthly realm.
Your body is holy and belongs to God.
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20, KJV.
It is important to keep your body holy, particularly concerning moral and sexual purity.
How Tom lost weight:
-Ate less, no magic bullet
-Followed Susan’s plan
Susan’s Message: YOU ARE NOT A DUD
God sees you as valuable.
How Susan lost 86 pounds in just over a year.
-Portion Control—weighing meat, measuring starches, max out on vegetables.
Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature. Old things have passed away. Look, all things have become new. 2 Cor. 5:17, MEV
LOOK at the good things God has for you!
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, Eph. 1:3 MEV
Other recent podcasts…
- The Power of the Tongue for Good or Evil [Audio]
- Believers School: Discovering New Life In Christ [Audio and Video]
- How to Pray for Your Church [Audio]
- Your Church Can Touch the World [Audio]
- There’s Healing in the Presence of the Lord [Audio]
- You Belong to Jesus: Get Right and Find Rest [Audio]
- The Love of the Father [Audio]
- Freedom from Generational Curses [Audio]
- You Have Something that the World Needs! [Audio]
- How to Preach the Gospel: You Can Do It If You Try [Audio]
Recent messages by Susan…
- Susan: Fresh Kosher Style Dill Pickles: Good Taste, Great Memories, and Happy Eaters
- Jesus is the Author and Finisher of Susan
- “Help! I Want to Lose Weight!” Author Gives Weight Loss Keys [Video]
- Gotta Get Those Weeds Out! Life Lessons from a Tenacious Gardener
- Susan Says: God Save England!
- Happy Birthday to Me, Even in December!
- Shoofly Pie Rules Again!
- Fall Crop Report from the Shanklin Homestead
- I Just Finished Cleaning My House
- “Ella, I Will Be Back, I Promise!”